Farming Connect is an all Wales service for farming families. It is funded through the Rural Development Plan 2007-2013 which is financed by the European Union and Welsh Government. ADAS in Wales provides mentors and advisors to the one to one service. Farming Connect provide 80% funding towards this service. ADAS also contributes to the Knowledge Transfer programme managed by Menter a Busnes. ADAS is one of the lead contractors and provides speakers for events, writes technical articles and helps to guide the strategic direction of the KT programme.
How can Farming Connect help your business?
Farming Connect provides a farm business with a range of services tailored to a particular need. The scheme offer great flexibility and scope for support.
The current scheme has just been extended for a further 12 months so it available to eligible businesses until December 2014. Eligibility means that you will need to spend at least 550 hours per year in agriculture or horticulture and have a CPH number. The Farming Connect service centre can check your eligibility and register you to receive the range of Farming Connect services.
What am I eligible for?
Each farm business can have up to 8 days of mentoring under the current scheme. This is funded 80% by Farming Connect and the business contributes 20% towards the cost. The service provides help on a range of issues which are detailed below. In addition there is a further €1500 of support on offer per farm business for farm advice relating to cross compliance. This can include assistance with applications to join the Glastir agri-environment schemes.
How can ADAS and Farming Connect help your business?
ADAS has a large team of people and can draw on a huge range of expertise to help your business. Over the past 3 years the most requested areas of work have been as follows. Remember almost anything can be provided under the support package provided you are eligible and have not used up the allocation of days or euros.
• Young Entrant Support Scheme (YESS) applications: We have helped many young farmers draw up their cash flows and budgets for eligible projects. This scheme allows a farmer who is under 40 years of age and the main partner in the business to apply for a capital grant from the Welsh Government for a range of projects. ADAS has a good track record of successful applications to this scheme.
• Glastir applications: ADAS can help you decide on your options by interrogating the ‘Glastir Scorecard’ and advising you on how to gain maximum points whilst recognising the need to retain a realistic farming system.
• Business management issues: whether you require a cash flow projection for the bank, or a budget for a new enterprise, ADAS has the technical skills and sound business background to give independent and realistic advice.
• Nutrient planning: ADAS staff are all FACTS qualified and as such they are the best people to give you independent and accurate advice on how and when to use farm produced nutrients and which fertilisers to buy. Nutrient management plans are now required to support a number of grant applications such as Glastir Efficiency. Our plans are robust and comprehensive.
• Manure storage reports: These reports are required as part of Glastir Efficiency grant applications. We work closely with Environment Agency Wales ( now Natural Resources Wales) to ensure our manure storage reports comply with the most up to date regulations.. ADAS also delivers Nitrate Vulnerable Zone (NVZ) advice on behalf of Welsh Government and as such we are in touch with the latest information.
• Technical advice in both agriculture and horticulture: Are you looking at a new crop or considering a new direction for the business? ADAS have a wealth and breadth of experts unlike any other organisation in Wales who could help you.
How can I access Farming Connect?
You will need to register with Welsh Government Farming Connect Service Centre by phoning 08456 000 813. The service centre will check that you are eligible and advise you of all the services that are available.
ADAS can also help you register for Farming Connect if you contact us via email at Farmingconnect@adas.co.uk or click here to link to our contact page.
You can also contact our ADAS office:
Aberystwyth: 01974 847000
Your local advisor can help you and discuss your requirements
ADAS are lead contractors within the Farming Connect Knowledge Transfer programme managed by Menter a Busnes. The programme provides farmers with events, workshops and factsheets on topical and technical issues. If you would like any information of these please follow the link below: