Operating within tight regulatory frameworks and governed by UK legislation and numerous European Directives, Utility companies are under constant pressure to improve efficiency and mitigate risk.
Utilities require cost-effective, robust information that informs sensible capital investment decisions to meet economic, social and environmental objectives.
It is vitally important therefore that consultants to the Utility sector possess the breadth of skill sets required to meet these wide-ranging but interlinked needs and this is why ADAS has such an impressive case history of projects in the sector.
Utilities tend to occupy large areas of land and wherever there are planned developments, companies need to identify and minimise the environmental impacts. In addition, there are often many opportunities to improve the ecological and landscape value of owned land, for the benefit of the companies themselves and to maintain/improve public relations.
The Electricity Distribution Network Operators own a substantial network of cables and electricity substations. They are legally bound to maintain these assets to a very high standard and the revised Electricity, Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations (ESQCR) have set challenging standards and targets that drive the need for expert assistance.
Utilities are major users of ADAS services, not least because, in addition to their regulatory compliance obligations, utilities also interact with a broad spectrum of stakeholders including customers, shareholders, local authorities, other land owners, local interest groups, members of the public etc.
ADAS has a long track record helping to manage the needs of these vastly different groups.
For more information, click on any of the links in the Services box.
ADAS’ clients include EDF Energy, Scottish and Southern Energy, United Utilities, Scottish Power, Central Networks, National Grid.
Typical projects include:
- Water quality assessment, including phosphorus, nitrogen and pesticides.
- Compliance with REACH legislation
- Waste management strategy
- Integrated Land Management Plans – suite of ILMP’s produced for British Energy
- Environmental Impact Assessments – ecology, landscape and archaeological surveys for proposed substation at Norwich for EDF Energy
- Ecological surveys –prior to 132kV refurbishments for EDF Energy
- Habitat creation and management – environmental improvements, including hedge reinstatement and pond restoration for National Grid
- Flood risk assessment of electricity substations for Central Networks
- Contractor training and compliance audits – vegetation management code of practice for
- IFI funded research - vegetation growth modelling for electricity Network Operators
ADAS clients benefit from the services of multi-disciplinary project teams, contact us now for an informal discussion on how we could help you.ADAS contact: Roy.Dyer@adas.co.uk Tel. 01235 438900