Good policy is grounded in evidence based robust data. It is strategic, inclusive, flexible, innovative, joined up and focused on the delivery of cost effective outcomes that matter. UK policy development is the process by which the government translates its political vision into programmes and actions to deliver these outcomes. Such policy is driven by European law, political objectives and budgetary constraints and as such policy development is a complex process, often calling upon the expertise provided by ADAS.
ADAS works with policy makers at all levels to provide an independent, authoritative voice on issues key to the national, European and international agenda.
Environmental issues have never been higher on the political agenda and ADAS is particularly active in the design and implementation of measures that enable stakeholders to meet the requirements detailed in a plethora of EU directives. For example, ADAS specialists are internationally renowned in the field of environmental modelling, providing policy makers with likely outcomes from different policy options based on models of the complex interactions between man and the environment. Livestock and crop related issues feature prominently in government policy with regard to their impact on biodiversity, natural resource protection, waste management and the sustainability of traceable food supplies and again ADAS can bring extensive experience to bear to help resolve these issues.
Policy implementation is a key component of the policy development process and represents an important feature of ADAS work on policy. As external consultants, highly experienced ADAS staff take an holistic view to ensure that implementation procedures are cost effective and deliver the desired outcomes and knowledge transfer.
Implementation can be continuously improved if robust evaluation and monitoring schemes are in place to ensure that previously defined milestones are being attained. ADAS has an impressive case history of projects in which it has helped at every stage of the process from policy research and development, through implementation, monitoring, evaluation and delivery of desired outcomes including knowledge transfer programmes.
For further information, click any of the links in our Services box.
Typical ADAS projects include:
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) of the Northern Ireland Government’s Rural Development Plan.
- Implementation of the Environmentally Sensitive Farming contract on behalf of Defra to disseminate advice on the minimisation of diffuse pollution.
- Monitoring and evaluation of a Biosecurity Intensive Treatment Area (BITA) on behalf of the Welsh Assembly Government.
- Provision of a comprehensive evaluation of the degree to which farm management plans are likely to contribute to Defra’s environmental sustainability targets.
- Policy development: Impact of the reform of Pillar I and Pillar II of the CAP on behalf of Defra.
- Provision of strategic advice to Defra on the implementation of the EU Broiler Directive, including a regulatory impact assessment for the UK industry.
- An evidence base for new legislation and guidance for implementation of a compulsory treatment period for sheep scab on behalf of Scottish Government.
- Regulatory impact assessments of plant protection product proposals and the national Strategy.
- Client surveys - to gather feedback for clients and identify future issues for business and government
If you could benefit from the skills and experience of ADAS multidisciplinary teams, contact us now.
ADAS contact: Alison.Riding@adas.co.uk Tel. 0116 2745116