Agriculture accounts for 80% of UK land; it contributes nearly £6 billion to the economy, employs over half a million people and generates £10 billion of food and drink exports every year.
As the custodians of such a large section of the UK's environment, farmers and land managers have always played a vital role in the vitality and viability of rural communities and in the protection of the environment.
For over 50 years, ADAS has been synonymous with sound agricultural advice and over this period the sector has changed enormously, so the need for reliable advice from people with a deep scientific understanding of the key issues has never been greater.
A wide variety of challenges currently face the industry. For example; increasing regulations, market volatility, pressures on farm incomes, changing consumer demand, environmental protection, animal welfare, flood risk, increasing energy costs, global warming, CAP reform, new diseases such as Avian Flu and world-wide concern with food availability and cost.
ADAS is best placed to provide farmers, growers, industry and regulators with expert help and advice on the most appropriate strategies to deal with these issues.
Encouragingly, a number of significant opportunities exist including non-food crops for fuels, chemicals and materials; locally sourced (low food miles) fresh food; tourism and leisure; environmental goods and services; energy from waste etc.
No other consultancy can claim such intimate and long-standing experience in agriculture coupled with an unparalleled depth and breadth of knowledge. For this reason ADAS customers include farmers and agricultural businesses in addition to local, regional and national government. Click here for further information on how ADAS helps government to translate political vision into Policy.
ADAS and Agriculture
This section deals mainly with farm business issues. Please follow the links to ADAS Sustainable Crop Management and Animal Health & Welfare for information on the services provided in these areas.
Uniquely for an environmental consultancy, ADAS works directly with farming businesses helping them to retain competitiveness and to ensure a sustainable future by:
- Improving production efficiency
- Effective financial management
- Adding value to commodities
- Improving product quality
- Developing new products
- Shortening supply chains
- Creating partnerships
- Risk management
Examples of ADAS services include:
- Enterprise Reviews and Feasibility Studies – data collection and interpretation to facilitate planning and strategic decisions.
- Whole Farm Business Planning - development and implementation of new business strategies based on major changes in business policy or direction.
- Leading Group Initiatives – working with groups to assist with market development, husbandry management, and supply chain efficiency.
- Professional Support – help with, regulation compliance, planning, and expert witness services.
- Knowledge Transfer Activities - to support policy, regulatory and training matters involving the crop and livestock production and processing industries.
Examples of recent ADAS projects include:
- Farming Connect Wales – business and environmental advice to Welsh farmers funded in part by Welsh Assembly Government.
- Severn Wye Smokery - planning business growth, sourcing grant aid and assistance with implementation of the business plan.
- Potato Crisp Supply Group – cost of production calculation and contract pricing.
- Animal welfare awareness campaigns – undertaken annually on behalf of Defra.
- Flock health planning in the West Midlands - preventative animal health knowledge transfer to sheep farmer groups.
- Review of poultry procedures –training to minimise the incidence and spread of Campylobacter in broiler units.
- Environmental and Catchment Sensitive Farming – undertaken for Natural England, helping land managers with cost effective diffuse pollution minimisation.
ADAS clients benefit from the services of teams of experts, contact us now for an informal discussion on how we could help you.
ADAS contact: David.Lyth @adas.co.uk Tel:0845 766 0085